The Student Newspaper of Paint Branch High School

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

Super Bowl Preview and Prediction

The Super Bowl is finally here and the race to the Lombardi Trophy has come down to two teams: the defending champion Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers. Super Bowl LVIII takes place on February 11th at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, where you will get to see Patrick Mahomes vs. Brock Purdy. A rematch between these two teams when the Chiefs beat the 49ers back in 2020 even though the 49ers got a new quarterback and more players since then.   

Matchup: Chiefs vs. 49ers

How they got to the Super Bowl:

The Kansas City Chiefs are making their fourth Super Bowl appearance in five years after outplaying the AFC’s No. 1 seed, the Baltimore Ravens. For most of the 2023 season the Chiefs struggled on offense, which was a big change from what has been a pretty dominant offense the last few seasons. The offense has been led by reigning MVP Patrick Mahomes and this year Mahomes he had a career high number of turnovers. During the playoffs the defense, led by  veteran players like Chris Jones and L’Jarius Sneed, stepped up and has led the way for the Chiefs, who have even seen their offense start to play much better than they did in the regular season . The 49ers are back in the Super Bowl for the second time in five years – and second time playing against the Chiefs, who they lost to in 2020. The Niners earned their trip to Vegas by  overcoming a 17-point deficit against the Detroit Lions in the NFC Championship. The 49ers were a beast this year going 12-5 during the regular season and putting two players in the MVP race, quarterback Brock Purdy and star running back Christian McCaffery. They also have a top ranked defense that is led by star linebackers Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw, cornerback Charvarius Ward, and defensive lineman’s Nick Bosa and Chase Young who was traded to the 49ers around the beginning of the season. 

Why the Chiefs could win:

The Chiefs could win the Super Bowl because they have superstar Mahomes, who is already being compared to Tom Brady. Though Mahomes has only 2 rings to Brady’s 7,  for the Chiefs to win its third Super Bowl in four years then Mahomes is the key to winning it.

Why the 49ers could win:

The 49ers could win the Super Bowl because they have more stars than the Chiefs and have them on both sides of the ball. This is especially true for the offense with weapons like Samuel, Aiyuk, Kittle, and McCaffery. With all these stars the 49ers could have an upper hand on Mahomes and could win the Super Bowl if they can control the ball. 

My Prediction:

From top to bottom, the 49ers have a talent advantage at every position. Purdy proved in the NFC Championship Game that he can overcome adversity by bringing his team back after being down 17 points. However, just like last year when the Eagles’ all-star lineup faced the Chiefs in the Super Bowl, the Chiefs came out with the win. Betting against Mahomes is tough when it matters most and he continues to prove this. This game is a must-see event and my prediction is a win for the Chiefs, 24-21.