The Student Newspaper of Paint Branch High School

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

Putting Themselves to the Test

Seal of Biliteracy Test Challenges and Rewards

Paint Branch students had two opportunities this year to test for the Seal of Biliteracy. In November, 50 students tested and in January of this year another 23 took the test. According to Paint Branch World Languages Resource Teacher Mrs. Tomas, the scores for students arrive within a few weeks of the exam and students are informed of the results.

So, what is the purpose of the Seal of Biliteracy and why do students seek it? In an interconnected world, speaking more than one language is an invaluable skill, especially when traveling to a foreign country and you want to order food. It creates an immediate connection with a person and puts them more at ease. In many states, including Maryland, being able to speak a language other than English is recognized and awarded with the Seal of Biliteracy.

The Seal of Biliteracy is awarded to any student who exhibits proficiency in a specific language via the state’s Seal of Biliteracy exam. According to the Maryland State Department of Education, “The Maryland Seal of Biliteracy is an official recognition awarded by participating public school systems upon students who have demonstrated a high level of proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing in one or more languages other than English.”

Students earn the Seal of Biliteracy by taking a standardized language exam set by educational institutions or state authorities. This means that the standards for proficiency may vary depending on the educational institution or state guidelines. However, as Mrs. Tomas clarifies, students can also earn the Seal, “by earning a 4 or higher on the AP exam or by passing the Avant assessment given at PB twice a year.”

The exam, which has no time limit, tests students in reading, writing, speaking, and listening in the language the student has chosen to test. While there is a $21 cost for testing, MCPS covers this fee for seniors, but juniors must pay for it themselves.
Mrs. Tomas feels that students should seek the Seal of Biliteracy because, “Communicating in a second language is an asset to any company and job. Having the seal of biliteracy on a resume is going to make anyone more marketable to hire.” Earning the Seal will also, depending on the college, allow students to “enter college taking a higher level language course which may give more college credits than beginning at the first level.”

So, for those of you soon-to-be juniors or seniors who are proficient in another language, colleges often view the Seal of Biliteracy favorably, which means that it has value beyond just recognition. Of course the medal that seniors receive for achieving the Seal is a nice benefit and one that many, including myself, see as the primary goal for taking the test. Being able to proudly display one’s achievements at graduation is a real plus, and having your diploma marked by a gold seal to recognize that you earned the Seal of Biliteracy is as well. Ultimately, whether one takes the test for the medal or to add to their resume, the Seal of Biliteracy is an incredible asset in our globalized generation.