The Student Newspaper of Paint Branch High School

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

Amélie Fills the Stage With Joy

The+Pit+Orchestra+is+an+essential+part+of+any+musical+performance+put+on+by+Perspectives.+
Zahra Ahmed
The Pit Orchestra is an essential part of any musical performance put on by Perspectives.

Audiences were invited on a young Parisian girl’s journey of self-discovery during PB Perspectives’ four-night showing of the spring musical Amélie.

Based on the 2001 film of the same name, the show explores Amélie’s transformation from a lonely, isolated child to a shy, quirky waitress at a cafe who tries to address her own introverted nature while changing the lives of those she meets for the better.
The story includes a huge cast of characters beginning with the titular Amélie Poulain, played as a child by Charis Foster and as an adult by Rebeca Meija; her parents, the distant Raphaël and neurotic Amandine, played by Brian Meija Ramos, and Alejandra Aguilar, respectively; and Nino Quincampoix, wedding dress shop proprietor and Amélie’s love interest, played by Ahmir Ingram.

Other roles include Fluffy, Amélie’s childhood fish (Minh Nguyen), Collignon, a hot-tempered grocer (Ahmed Sidee), his often verbally abused worker Luciene Villeparisis (Ruth “Sky” Bekele), and Hipolito, a writer (Nathaniel Belizaire). Many of these actors play multiple roles, and this show also utilizes a large and talented ensemble, whose ranks consist of: Topaz Williams, Gladis Padilla, Jenna Reaves, Kai Falcon, Andree Sylla, Fraol Tafa, Lainie Cassels, Alexa Cassels, MaryAnn Agyei-Obese, Lyn Sawtell, Amber Hider, Jeremiah Foster, Valeska Okai-Ayeetey, and Quinn Naugle.

The production crew worked since January on the various set pieces, which included a photo booth, a hand-made puppet that is used to represent young Amélie, and gnome-shaped urn hand-made from papier-mache. Elements such as projections used to represent locations and French-language sign boards were created to help audiences feel as if they were in Paris. A pit section composed of members of Paint Branch’s Band and Orchestra also worked hard to provide live accompaniment for the actors.
After Amélie, PB Perspectives is finished with their shows for 2023-2024, but those interested in helping out can always volunteer their time for next school year’s productions.