The Student Newspaper of Paint Branch High School

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

Panther Paw: More Than Just a Restaurant

The+Panther+Paw+is+open+to+staff+and+students+at+PB+and+draws+a+large+crowd+each+time+it+is+open.+
Sumer Elsalawi
The Panther Paw is open to staff and students at PB and draws a large crowd each time it is open.

On a typical school day, what do you like to eat for lunch? Do you prefer packing your own, going out and buying something, not eating at all, or do you purchase from PB’s very own restaurant, the Panther Paw? 

With its slogan – Lunch is always better at the Paw – PB’s student-run restaurant, is usually open on Thursdays and Fridays and has been a staple at PB for years. The restaurant management program, led by Chef Christopher Yep, has been highly successful and “The Paw” has been a huge part of that success.  

Chef Yep, who has been running the program since 2017, mentions that his experiences abroad heavily influenced him to lead this program. While abroad in various countries throughout Europe and South America, he has gained firsthand knowledge of a variety of the cuisines which often appear in the Panther Paw. 

The program “grows stronger and I get better at teaching students how to run the restaurant,” Chef Yep notes, adding that experiences from each school year not only allow the program to refine their recipes, but also lets him grow more knowledgeable as a teacher. When asked about the program’s most important takeaways he states, “general life skills.” He references the fact that the program not only teaches students how to cook, but also teaches them how to “clean up after themselves, sweep, mop, and fold clothes” which are crucial skills to have in life. 

Chef Yep adds that many Restaurant Management alumni are chefs now and he enjoys when they come back to talk to current students. PB junior and RM student Yoni Haile notes that her favorite part of the program is “getting the opportunity to make and eat good food.” She adds, “it can definitely get stressful at times, but it’s also super fun!” 

Another junior RM student, Sophia Cole, shares similar thoughts to Yoni and voices that not only has the class taught her how to cook, but has also “brought out the leader in me.” She expresses her gratitude for Chef Yep and mentions that he isn’t just a chef, but is her “mentor, therapist, and advocate.” Sophia calls Restaurant Management “the best program at Paint Branch” and would like to recommend it to anyone who hasn’t taken it yet.