Freshmen and Sophomores Hope for 2nd Chance at LAP

In late December Paint Branch gave freshmen and sophomores the opportunity to leave campus for lunch. To qualify, underclassmen had to be “eligible” and have a signed form from home allowing them to leave the Paint Branch campus. It was a good idea, but there were still a few issues.

Administration gave the forms that needed to be signed to leave campus to students the day before the event. It was too short a notice, and some parents or guardians didn’t have time to sign them, so those students who could have enjoyed the privilege were left out and not allowed to leave.

It was a good idea to give freshmen and sophomores the opportunity to leave but the event’s implementation was too short noticed and a bit confusing. Students were confused about what to do with the signed forms and where to turn them in to participate. Even students who had signed forms didn’t go because of their lack of knowledge about the guidelines for the event.

An event like open-campus lunch should be held again for freshmen and sophomores who aren’t usually allowed to leave. The notice of the event should be given to students and parents or guardians at an earlier time so it will provide more students with the opportunity to experience a bit of freedom.