Is There Really Such A Thing as a “Best Friend”?

We all have that one friend when we have known since kindergarten and are still friends with today. Back in elementary school we would make a promise that we would be friends forever.

However, was that promise of forever friendship actually true? Do friends continue to be friends until the end of time?  Sadly, the answer is “no,” as, most of the time, these youthful friendships end in high school.

As friends enter high school, they enter a world made up entirely of teenagers.  Additionally, high school consists of a much larger number of students than middle and elementary school, which causes people to meet new people and to discover who they actually are as a person. This can cause best friends to separate and meet new people, developing a new group of best friends.

Joining clubs, organizations, and sports are also other ways friends separate. By joining new clubs, people begin to form bonds with their fellow members as they play, plan, and practice together, which also causes new friendships to develop.

The problem with this formation of new friends is that people focus solely on their new high school friends, slowly forgetting their middle and elementary school friends. Sadly, friendships fade when people go into high school.