Tragedy Strikes Pennsylvania

Sixteen Year Old Injures Twenty-One in Knife Attack

On April 9, 2014, a mass stabbing occurred at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville, Pennsylvania. The attack injured twenty-one people; including a security guard.  The attacker was sixteen year old Alex Hribal, who wielded two kitchen knives.

Hribal began attacking students shortly before classes began and stabbed two students before a fire alarm was pulled to alert people to the emergency.  He continued to slash and stab nineteen other people before he was tackled and subdued by the school’s assistant principal. While no one has died from the attacks, there are four victims who are in critical condition.

Hribal, who was arraigned as an adult, now faces 4 counts of attempted homicide, 21 counts of aggravated assault and 1 count of possessing a weapon on school grounds. If he is found guilty on these charges, he could receive up to 20 years in jail on each count of attempted homicide and assault.

Hribal’s attorney, Patrick Thomassey, has requested that the case be moved to a juvenile court. If he is successful, Hribal can only be held until his 21st birthday.  Despite what some may think, no reports of Hribal being bullied have surfaced. He has been described by his attorney as shy but able to interact with other students effectively. No major developments have occurred in the past few weeks, but a trial can be expected sometime in the next few months.