PB Celebrates Science

Annual Science Expo Draws a Crowd

Paint Branch is known as the Academy of Science and Media, so there really is no better way to display our signature programs than through a science expo. The Paint Branch Science Expo took place on Wednesday, April 2 and displayed projects ranging from pieces developed by anatomy classes all the way to experiments done by AP Chemistry students.

At the expo, students got to show off the knowledge they gained throughout the school year, and they even had the opportunity to have their projects judged by a group of scientists, including physicists and chemists.

Display boards lined the third floor hallways, and each board showed the different experiments and studies conducted by students in classes such as Biology and Forensics. Junior Umniya Gabbani, who did an interesting forensics study on a serial killer, says that her personal favorites at the expo are “hands-on activities.”

Senior Larry Mikanga studied the center of mass and said that “the hardest thing was being able to keep the meter sticks balanced on the edge of the table.”

“My favorite part is seeing a passion for science awaken as people experience the expo,” said senior Saron Teklezgi, who, along with AP Physics students Prableen Chowdhary, Nhi Le, and Connie Nguyen, studied inertia by conducting an experiment which involved spinning. “Physics is ‘phun,’” senior Alex Johny joked.

The Science Expo wasn’t all chemistry and physics, however. Medical Careers, a Paint Branch Signature Program, took the blood pressure and pulse of visitors, letting them know whether their rates were normal or if they had rates which indicated conditions such as pre-hypertension or hypertension.

“This year’s expo was really exciting,” said Honors and AP Chemistry teacher Mr. Richard Lee. Overall, the science expo was a huge success and truly displayed the wonders of science and the immense knowledge and creativity of Paint Branch students.