Defending Our Safety: Should Self-Defense Be a Part of Our High School Education?

Dale Carnegie, 20th century American writer, once said, “Fear does not exist anywhere except in the mind.”

Although I consider myself prone to overcome rather than succumb to any obstacle created out of fear, I admit that going places alone is a new fear that makes me anxious. Even thinking about it makes me nervous. The anxiety stems from all of the tragic stories I’ve heard recently, especially those that occurred around this area.

In April of last year, at the Boston Marathon, three unsuspecting bystanders were killed and hundreds were severely injured after two home-made bombs exploded. Later that year, 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was stopped, questioned and – ultimately killed after being shot in the back during a walk through a neighborhood. More recently –and locally – was the shooting at Columbia Mall, a place I frequently visit, that left two unsuspecting people dead. Finally this past December, my friend lost her new iPhone when she got jumped in downtown Silver Spring.

Point-blank: I don’t feel so safe and secure going places by myself anymore. While incidents like these I mention make me apprehensive, I don’t want to be afraid of my own shadow, or anybody else’s for that matter.

Try as I may to not let these stories affect my perspective of strangers – having an “everybody is a possible predator, so I must have my guard up at all times” mentality – I can’t deny that I am concerned, especially because I am going to college this upcoming fall, which will be filled with strangers.

At George Washington University, the police department offers self-defense classes as one of their on campus services. They report, “students who have taken self-defense classes often report feeling more prepared in case of a violent attack or a sexual assault…they also report feeling more empowered in everyday situations – like when walking at night.”

I wonder why self-defense classes are not more of a mainstream option for high school students. Along with promoting that adolescents get out and get active by playing sports, taking self-defense should be just as seriously suggested.  In fact, self-defense should be offered to high school students as a possible gym credit, alongside basketball and volleyball. It would be beneficial for students to learn how to defend themselves as a part of their physical education. Ensuring the security of students should be considered by the educational system as it strives to help adolescents be as healthy and active as possible.

LIVESTRONG is a website that supplies nutrition and fitness tips that encourage people to have healthier lifestyles. According to LIVESTRONG, “Self-defense classes can offer exercise benefits such as muscle toning and strengthening, improved balance and coordination and an effective cardiovascular workout.”

If classes like walking for wellness and total fitness are available to take at the high school level, then self-defense should be offered, as well, because it “helps people develop more confidence in themselves and their surroundings,” reports LIVESTRONG.

Self-defense classes provide a skillset that is prevalent throughout students’ entire lives. It should be offered as an additional layer to get students active, and, most importantly, supply skills that will safeguard them far beyond the high school.  The GW University Police Department also notes, “Self-defense teaches tips to reduce vulnerability by making participants more aware of their surroundings and teaching them how to react to a variety of situations.”

If the goal of high school is to prepare the upcoming generation for a successful future, then offering self-defense classes is a necessary step to eliminate any preventable fears that might weigh down students such as me from truly experiencing the world around us.