Senior Unity Day

Seniors gather to create a bond early in the year

PB Principal Dr. Rogers poses with a group of happy seniors at Senior Unity Day.

Freshman…sophomore…junior…SENIOR. Entering the 4th year of your high-school career can be fun and frightening. So, why not start the year with a fun-filled day off from school with all of your classmates? This is exactly what the Paint Branch Seniors did on Tuesday, September 9th, as they gathered for a stress-free day with fellow classmates at Smokey Glen Farm in Gaithersburg.

“Teachers, please release all seniors after second period.” This all-call announcement by Mr. Yates was the one eager seniors were waiting to hear. Of course, many had hoped for those words to come much sooner.

The hustle and bustle of seniors walking down the hall was accompanied by screams and smiles as students reunited with their classmates despite the fact that they’d seen them less than two hours prior. However, these happy faces turned to disgust as they saw the senior class T-shirt. The shirts, which were supposed to be gold, looked sort of brown with a slightly yellow tint. Dr. Rogers stepped in to calm the waters and assured the class they were getting new shirts free of charge.

Chatter and laughter filled the bus ride to Smokey Glen. The group arrived at the farm and five busloads of students unpacked and convened under the pavilion where senior class president Gloria Okeke addressed the group.

After a brief meeting, the day kicked off with a scavenger hunt. The goal was to find 10 people fitting the description of the items on the list. Among those were someone who plays two or more sports, someone who can touch their nose with their tongue, and someone taking 5 or more AP classes. One group quickly found their people and won within minutes. After the scavenger hunt, people found interest in the various volleyball, basketball, and soccer games going on around the park.

The food was finally served around 11:30 that morning, with menu items that included hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, and potato salad. Seniors quickly ate the food and then got in to the hyped mode to dance.

Senior Anwar Glascoe described Senior Unity Day as “getting together with a collective squad of [goons] and just turning up and having fun.”

Ms. Wright, the senior class sponsor, said, “It’s important to start a bond early in the school year, as opposed to you doing everything at the end when everyone is ready to go their separate ways.”

The day came to a close with a senior selfie before everyone boarded the buses and took the trip back to Paint Branch with smiles on their faces.