Hispanic Awareness Kicks off the School Year

Yvonne Rivas, Staff Writer

Are you intrigued by the rich and zestful Hispanic culture? Do you love Hispanic food and music? Are you looking for a fun way to help those in need? Well, if you said “yes” to any of these questions, the Hispanic Awareness Club is perfect for you!

The Hispanic Awareness Club was created to unite Hispanic students and to promote appreciation of their culture. The club’s first meeting was held on September 12th in room 1316, Ms. Cardona’s room. When asked what she was most excited for, senior Paola Miranda said, “I’m excited about raising money.”

In the past, the club held activities such as dance seminars, drives to collect supplies for less-fortunate children, and sold traditional food to help raise awareness and to fund the club. These activities gave students the chance to deepen their cultural understanding.

At the meeting, Club co-sponsor Ms. Cardona said that she is looking forward to “new members and new activities.” The club’s other co-sponsor, Mr. Burgos, helped take down student ideas for National Hispanic Heritage Month, which started September 15th and ends on October 15th. Make sure to listen to the announcements for some traditional Hispanic music to celebrate this month.

Ms. Cardona announced that this year the club will have their own shirts for members. She proceeded to explain how the club shirts will be designed and ordered. Lastly, members agreed to hold meetings every Friday.

Everyone interested is welcomed and encouraged to join. Don’t miss out on an exciting and fun opportunity to learn more about the Hispanic culture!