Marching to a New Beat

Panther Marching Band Continues to Grow; Now Boasts Fifty-Three Members

Laura VanDemark, Features Editor

Have you ever heard the old adage about walking and chewing gum? Now imagine that same concept, but chewing gum is replaced with playing an instrument and marching across the football field. Just to make it more complicated, add to that the complexity of following someone’s instructions at the same time.

Walking while marching, playing an instrument and following a person’s instructions might sound impossible, but the Paint Branch Marching Panthers have perfected this feat. According to Mr. Kirchhoff, marching band director, “marching band allows to students to perform both psychically demanding, athletic moves while creating artistic, beautiful music at the same time.”

In order to learn how to play and march at the same time, all marching band members attend a two week band camp before the school year starts. It is during band camp that members learn not only the skills they need to play and march, but also how to work together as a unit.

This year, the marching band is the largest it has been since 2007 with 53 members. Each member – whether they are the drum major, a member of drumlime, brass and woodwind, pit, or part of the color guard – plays an integral role in the quality of the performance. Mr. Kirchhoff explains that “the great thing about marching band is that there are ‘no backups’ who sit on the sidelines. Everyone is a starter, and everyone is an important piece of the ensemble.”

The drumline provides rhythmic energy and helps keep time, the brass and woodwind sections play the melodies and harmonies, and the pit – which includes drums, xylophones, and cymbals – adds more melodic material and plays unique instruments to add to the performance.

In addition to the musical members of the marching band, the color guard provides a visual element to the marching band’s show through their precise movement, dance, and use of equipment including flags and rifles.

In addition to performing their pregame and halftime shows during football season, the marching band also serves as a pep band to provide energy in the stands throughout the game. Baritone saxophone player and low brass section leader Aaron Kassman explains, “Marching band directs the energy of the crowd in a positive way through the music.”

Not only does the marching band perform at Paint Branch events, they are also active in the community, marching in parades and competing at regional marching band competitions. The marching band will compete four times this fall, including a home competition on October 11th for the first time in Paint Branch history. When asked what his favorite part of marching-band is, senior drum major Ian Edge responds, “Competitions. I love the feeling of performing a show. Also, I love seeing other bands performing, and accepting awards after is a great feeling.”

While Mr. Kirchhoff’s goals for the future include breaking their competition scoring record, participating in a college football bowl game or even the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, he also hopes that marching band continues to be an activity that students love. It only takes a few minutes of being around the marching band to realize that it is more than an extracurricular for them; they are truly a family.