Do You Want To Know a Way To Help The Community Out?

Sojat Yusuf, Staff Writer

On Thursday, September 18th, Key Club held its first meeting of the year in the Principal’s Team Room. The meeting was the start of another year for the club.

Club President Vivian Nguyen explained to the students what Key Club is and what events will occur throughout the school year.

Key Club is a high school community-service organization led by students. The benefits of joining Key Club include gaining community service hours and having the chance to help one’s community. Vice President is Jezica Suarez, the Treasurer is  Kevin Nguyen and Secretary is Louis Prung. The sponsors are Ms.Freeman and Ms.Miller. In order to join, students must pay $11 for membership, which is given to Austin Le. Key Club has many events in order to raise money for the community.Students can participate in bake sales, candy sales, bag lunches, Unicef Box, car washes, and more.

At the meeting, the topic of service came up many times.  Students in the club must commit to at least 10 hours of service work associated with Key Club events and activities each semester, or they cannot submit those hours at all.

Towards the end of the year, there is the annual Key Club District Convention, which is when students meet with other schools in different districts and compete in competitions at the Baltimore Inner Harbor. Key Club has many different opportunities to make a difference in the community.

The first meeting of the year was packed, as around 100 students came. The meeting consisted of the president speaking about what would happen in Key Club throughout the year and why people should join. “Our main goal is to make our community better,” said Nguyen. Key club is the biggest club at  Paint Branch and is a great opportunity for students to help others in their community.