Schools Should Provide Students an Energy Bar

Mckenzie Perrow, Staff Writer

We all know that in high school staying up late and waking up early is likely to be what each student struggles with during these four years. On top of that, we have to be able to keep our heads up in class and be able to focus on the day’s lessons. With the need for more sleep and enough time in the morning to brush your teeth, teenagers simply do not have energy to go the extra mile for coffee or other energy-boosting drinks.

Students with busy schedules, like me, are often very tired and do not have time to go out and buy coffee in the morning before school. An energy bar available in the mornings and during lunch can be the solution. Students would be provided with the opportunity to be alert and focused in class. A school coffee bar would prevent tardiness from students trying to get coffee off campus as well. Fewer students would be falling asleep in class in the morning, and it would create a higher participation rate in classrooms.

We’ve all been in the place where we knew the only hope in the middle of a long day was a good cup of Joe. The perfect solution to the exhaustion teenager’s face every day would be an energy bar at school. The bar would sell an assortment of energy drinks ranging from coffee, Red Bull, and Monster to healthier options such as energy-boosting fruit smoothies. With these drinks available to students in the morning as well as the lunch period, students would be able to stay awake throughout the day.

Bringing an energy bar to Paint Branch will not only benefit the students, but also the school as a whole. The money brought in by the bar could go toward funding the various clubs, teams, or groups here at PB that need it. Some people may say that bringing in such drinks with unhealthy nutrient labels harms the students who drink them; the bodies of teenagers are still growing and do not need the artificial ingredients in energy drinks. Although these statements are true, the decision to intake these drinks lies with the teenager. The school can allow the sale of these items, and the students can chose whether or not to drink them.