NHS Blood Drive

NHS Blood Drive

Seanne Coates, Opinions Editor

The National Honor Society put together its annual blood drive on November 13th, and the event went off without a hitch.

NHS President Laura VanDemark explained that the blood drive works so fluidly due to strong planning and preparation.  “Twice a year, six NHS members from the Blood Drive Committee work to organize all aspects of the Blood Drive, including donor registration and volunteer coordination,” stated VanDemark.

This year, as in years past, students were eager to participate, proving that they have the heart – and the stomach – to give to those in need. Students and staff donated one hundred and seventy three units of blood this year, something that made NHS Sponsor Mrs. Kimmel very proud.  “I am so incredibly proud of Paint Branch for coming out in such large numbers to help save lives!” stated Mrs. Kimmel.  “I think that is a true reflection of the kind of students we have here.  And a special thank you to the NHS committee who did a fantastic job organizing and running the event and to all of the volunteers who helped throughout the day – you were amazing and it was such a joy to work together for such an important cause!”

Everyone who donated, or was deferred, received a free t-shirt from INOVA to show off his or her status as a donor. Those individuals who go above and beyond and donate four or more times during their high school tenure earn a red hero cord to wear at graduation.

While t-shirts and cords are a fun perk for giving blood, the true reward is knowing that by donating you are one step closer to fulfilling someone’s desire to continue to live.