Want to Get Recruited? Try the Military

Dazha Austin, Staff Writer

We all know about getting recruited for sports, but what about the military? Sure you may think they are the same – recruiters in both have to sell their program – but being recruited for the military recruiting is different from being recruited for sports. A military recruited must find a way to sell the academic side of military service in addition to the importance of and benefits of the military.

In military recruiting, the recruiters are basically looking for anyone with the will to serve. “We are looking for strong young men and women who have a desire to serve our country,” says Staff Sargent Brooks, an Army recruiter.

Jerica Holder, a United States Navy recruiter, says she “enlightens people on the advantages of the Navy and what it has to offer for them.” She adds that she “shows them that no matter their situation, the Navy can help benefit that person’s life.”
Holder is an electrician’s mate second class EM2 on NRD (Navy Recruiting Duty) and has been in the fleet for 5 years. During her time, she has enjoyed her experience thus far, but being an electrician with has nothing to do with recruiting;she choose this job as a temporary assignment. She has been to places like Guam, Hawaii and Korea and, without her experience in the military, she would have never dreamed of getting to travel to those various places in 5 years at no cost.

While an individual may say the military is not for them, a recruiter tries to remind them of the opportunities, benefits, and life experiences. Sargent Tefferah of Army Recruiting came to the U.S. from Ethiopia 10 years ago and wanted to go to college. He did not have the money,so he went down to the recruiting station and joined. Since then,he has been to various countries. “I’ve been to Spain, Japan and Guatemala.”

One of the benefits of joining the military out of high school notes Holder, is that “unlike attending civilian college, you can get a jumpstart on a career with experience and training. With the military, you will obtain a skill and get the experience and while doing this, you will be able to go to school with the Navy’s 100% Tuition Assistant Program for any college you choose.”
The Armed Forces Career Center located in Downtown Silver Spring houses Army, Navy and Marine Corp centers. The recruiters at this location have open doors and are ready whenever you are. If you’re not up to going there, they also actively recruit inside the schools. Members of the Armed Forces are here at Paint Branch at least once a week and can be found outside the cafeteria, in the NJROTC room (Rm 1143), or in the College and Career Center. “We are always available to speak; just drop by whenever you are available.” Bringing a friend or parent to receive the information is a good idea too.

Recruiting is not a job for just anyone, according to Navy.com; you have to apply and go to school to be a recruiter. You have to be in good standing with the Navy. Of the several branches of the military, there are plenty of service men and women to talk to; just get out there and explore.

Whatever you may gain from this article, I hope you remember this; “There are many ways to be strong but only one way to be Army strong.”