Panther Sports Briefs

Indoor Track

Ryun Anderson, Staff Writer

On December 9th the indoor track team competed at the second Montgomery County League Meet in Landover, Maryland. Still working to recover from the loss of a large group of seniors from last year’s state runner-up squad, the meet provide an early-season showcase for many of the team’s newcomers.

The Panthers dominated the boys’ 800-meter run, with Oliver Lloyd leading the way with a first-place finish. Track rookies Mieron Tewelde and John Dematatis also turned in outstanding debuts in the event. Senior Taiwo Adekoya finished fifth and was the team’s top finisher in the boys’ 300-meter dash, while sophomore Damon Ferrell also turned in a solid race. In his first meet, senior Roger White finished eleventh in the boys’ shot put, followed by sophomore Ajani Grant in thirteenth place. Sophomore Tyrek Goy finished second in the boys’ high jump.

Junior Precious Igwebuike turned in solid performances at the meet, finishing ninth in the girls’ 300-meter dash and third in the girls’ high jump. Sophomore Nicole Osafo-Dedey impressed in the girls’ 300-meter dash, while the girls’ 4×200 relay team placed first overall.

The team will rest up before traveling back to Landover for the P.G. Relay Invitational on December 18th.