All Grades Should Be Allowed To Have Open Lunch

Mhret Wondem, Staff Writer

The bell rings announcing that lunch has begun, and you have 45 minutes to get your lunch and relax or study, but you waste 10 minutes in the long lunch lines, 10 minutes that you could have used to drive to the nearest food place. With this time well used, you can eat and have more time to study and take care of whatever you need to.

People might not want to eat school lunch because they might not like it or it’s unhealthy, so they should be able to go out and eat what they want. Even though you’re supposed to be a senior or junior to be able to leave the school for lunch, the kids in the lower grades still leave the school anyway, so the school should not really put a rule in place that kids don’t entirely pay attention to.

The GPA necessary required for the juniors and seniors to leave campus at LAP is 2.0 with signed parent permission.  For lower grade students, there should be a similar policy, but the required GPA for these students should be 2.5 or higher. Not all students are going to go out for open lunch; there will be kids who are still going to eat the school lunch, but that’s okay because maybe they like the food or they bring lunch from home and don’t want to rush to a local place.

Some people want McDonald’s for lunch and they might ask an upperclassman to buy them food by giving them their money, and some upperclassmen might be nice and do it, but some might not. Having the option of leaving campus – even to go to 7-Eleven – would give younger students more options and allow them to feel more independent.