The Great School Uniforms Debate

Jasmine Hayes, Staff Writer

For years, there has been talk about whether schools should require students to wear uniforms. School uniforms stop self-expression, limit creativity and do not allow young people to be themselves. School uniforms have both a positive and negative impact on public schools. According to ” “Emily’s, Sweeney. “Suited for Schoolwork. “School uniforms didn’t become popular until the 2000’s and have grown in 2007 and 2008….” But school uniforms had became popular in private school, not public schools.

School uniforms have negative qualities to them. Those against them say you cannot be yourself and cannot wear what you choose, and they disturb your civil rights. School dress codes go too far by telling you what you have to wear or can and can’t have on your body. “Kamryn Renfro, a nine-year-old girl from Colorado, shaved her head for her best friend who is going through chemotherapy. Renfro was suspended from school until her hair grew back, because shaved heads are against the school dress code.” What they’re saying is Renfro did an amazing thing, but got punished, because of what the dress code said.

Those who support uniforms say that they promote a safer learning environment and help to keep the student’s focus on schoolwork and away from distractions. However, school uniforms also stop students from expressing themselves and our creativity.

School uniforms stop us from being creativity, and unique at school, and in this world. School uniforms just make us look like the crowd and everyone else.