Bullies Cry For Help

Chijioke Difini, Staff Writer

Bullying comes in many forms, including physical and verbal abuse that weigh heavily on the victim’s self-esteem. Of course, bullying and bullies need to stop, but at the same time bullies need help as well.

Boys often bully others, utilizing more physical means, while girls generally bully others by social exclusion according to HelpGuide.org, a trusted nonprofit resource for mental and emotional health. Research shows that about 25 percent of kids experience bullying, so you’re not alone. While there are many reasons why bullies may be targeting you, the main reasons are usually your physical appearance or social standing within your peer group. Bullying has been part of school, and even work environments, for years. Technology and social media have created a new venue for bullying that has expanded its reach. Cyberbullying is bullying that happens online, on cell phones, and other online sources. Websites like Facebook, Tumblr and MySpace allow children to send destructive, continuous messages to others 24 hours a day. Some sites, such as Tumblr and Formspring, allow messages to be left anonymously, according to the American Psychological Association (APA). Systematic international research has shown bullying to be a frequent and serious public health problem, but psychologists are using their research to develop bullying prevention programs that are being implemented in schools around the world.

Children and teenagers who bully need support, rehabilitation, and compassion; not thoughtlessly doled out punishments. They need help learning and interrelating with others without manipulation, harassment and abuse. APA recommends that teachers, parents and students can take certain actions to address bullying.