Unified Bocee Team Takes Bronze at State Meet

The Unified Bocce Team finished 3rd at the State Meet.

Laura VanDemark, Features Editor

PB’s Allied Bocce team finished the season strong, taking 3rd place at the Maryland Special Olympics State Bocce Championships. Competing in Division 1, PB won their first match against Urbana 8-5, lost to La Plata 9-5 in the semi-finals and then defeated Suitland 8-6 to win the bronze medal.

The bocce team was successful throughout the season, finishing 2nd in their division and placing 4th place at the county championships. Mr. Vigna, head coach since the program’s creation 4 years ago, explains, “Every player makes valuable contributions to the chemistry of our team. It is great watching my players wear their Paint Branch uniform with pride.”
This year’s team consisted of 11 players including senior team captain Tiye Sharp and five strong juniors, William Shawhan, Clarence Wheeler, Druv Mathur, Abel Dereje, and Avinaash Gulati, who should help carry the team next year. Other key members this year included Emnet Wessenyleh, Alan Muton, Jacob Shuar, Adom Antwi, and Andy Beaton.

Assisting the team as student coaches this year were Erin Connolly, Patrick Vigna, Michael Katski, and Zach Nguyen. According to Partick Vigna, the bocce team is a great experience because “by the end of the season all of the players were good friends and many gained confidence to try many new things in their lives.” While the bocce season is over for this year, make sure to attend a bocce tournament next year and support this fantastic team.