Panther Sports Briefs: Swim and Dive

Mark Holman, Staff Writer

The Panthers’ Swim and Dive team finished the 2014-2015 season with a record of 5-10 for the boys and 5-10 for the girls. While these records don’t truly represent the respective teams’ efforts, their mutual 4th place division finishes do reveal the teams’ hard work. Panther swimmers placed an outstanding 9th in the region.

This year began with many new swimmers making their first splash in the exciting pool of competitive swimming, but by the time it ended the group had grown into a homogenous and heavily chlorinated team. The team’s closeness was evident in its many social events like banner-making and pasta dinners.

There will be many seniors graduating this year; however, the team looks like it’s in good hands (or perhaps one should say swim caps) for next season. On the boys’ side, key contributors this season included seniors Jonathan Jarman, James Gibs, and junior Bret Jones. On the girls’ side, seniors Rebecca Martins, Cindy Tran, and sophomore Mia Gibs swam well all season.

Throughout the season, almost everyone improved, and several swimmers glided to best times with some even setting records. Junior Melanie Doan continued her impressive work in the pool and had a fantastic season, breaking the division 4A/3A 100 meter breaststroke with a record time of 1:09.48.