Spring Break: Dreams and Reality

Abigail Bediako, Staff Writer

Spring is almost here, which means that spring break is almost here! There are many places you can go to have fun with or without your family; for teens, the choice they want most is to go without their families.

Teens who don’t want to travel or vacation with their families travel with their friends instead. Some teens are not allowed to go to other state for spring break, but there are several things they can do. They can go to the pool, hang out at the mall, go to the movies, or have a little get-together. Teens are not too old for sleepovers, so one idea is to bring a couple of friends over or rent a hotel – if they are allowed – to make it more fun and exciting. Teens who are allowed to travel should go somewhere exciting and enjoy themselves, and have the time of their lives. Teens can do exciting things like go camping in another state, go to beaches, explore other states, or meet new people. Teens love to go to places like Hawaii or the Bahamas, very beautiful islands, but this can be very expensive.

Two important questions remain for teens: where would you love to go for spring break and what are you actually doing for spring break? Some teens such as Efeti Etule, an 11th grader from Paint Branch, have both a dream destination and a more realistic goal. Etule says, “For spring break I would love to go to Miami, but I am actually hanging out with my friends.”

Senior Samuel Saryee says, “I would like to go to Hawaii, but I’m actually staying at home for spring break.”

Joshua Darien, a 10th grader from James Hubert Blake High School, says, “I would like to go to a warm beach and go in the water, but, instead, I am going to spend time with my girlfriend.”

While none of these teens are heading to an exotic locale, they all plan to have fun, which is just what spring break is for. Ultimately, spring break will be fun for some teens, but others may find it boring and constantly search for something to do. It is supposed to be the time when students finally get to relax and enjoy the spring weather, so get out and enjoy it.