PB Should Have Vending Machines for Students: PRO

Darren Zhang, Staff Writer

It’s currently fourth period, and you’re waiting for lunchtime as you tap on the desk, stomp your feet, or do anything to get your mind off of your hunger. The bell rings, but you know by the time you get to the lunch room, the line is already long and McDonald’s is an even longer walk outside of school. You trudge towards the cafeteria until you realize that Christmas is just around the corner; the vending machine. Paint Branch High School should have snack vending machines.

Vending machines are financially beneficial with proper location. Paul Lawrence, a successful entrepreneur who made his living starting and running a series of profitable businesses, wrote an article called “The Truth about the Vending Business”; in the article, he discusses his experience of making a profit with vending machines. He says he began with buying one used snack machine for $50 and that, within a couple of months, he earned one hundred percent return on the cost. Lawrence also emphasizes the importance of location being a factor in the profits. Paint Branch High School has close to two-thousand students who would use them. Placing the snack machines mainly on the third floor and near the gym area would be the most profitable. The gym area has many of hardworking, tired students who are low on energy and would most likely need an energy boost (from the vending machine) or a drink to rehydrate. Placing machines on the third floor is a good idea because it is the furthest location from the cafeteria. Students will get a bite on the way down before getting their meal. Making a little extra money is not such a bad thing.

Vending machines can save time. The school store may be popular with students, but it’s an inconvenient place where students get clustered and spend a long time waiting in line. With the vending machines spread out, groups of students will also spread out and that store area will be clearer and easier for people to get through. The staff who work at the school store may also end up having more free time. It’s a win-win situation.

A final solution that fits with profit and health is fresh, healthy vending. Fresh Healthy Vending are innovators in healthy vending and organic coffee vending. Their vending machines are bright, colorful, and attractive which helps their consumers recognize that the machines offer organic vending, better-for-you drinks, snacks and organic coffee. It has energy-efficient LED lighting to remote monitoring to cashless payment systems. Everything about their machines are fresh, healthy, and affordable.