Alderson Broaddus Visits PB Seniors

Jackie Hernandez, Staff Writer

On October 30, representative Paul Gonzalez came to Paint Branch high school and informed students of Alderson Broaddus University. The university is located in Philippi, West Virginia and has a total of 1200 students on campus. In the past few years the population of the students doubled; two years ago there were only 600 students, but because of more sports related activities the school offered more athletic scholarships which increased the population of the school.  Alderson Broaddus offers several scholarships for students based on academic achievement. According to Gonzalez, “The higher the GPA and SAT score the higher the loan.” The four popular scholarships include: Trustee with Distinction awarding $12,000, Trustee awarding $10,000, Presidential awarding $8,000, and Dean awarding $6,000 and should be considered when applying.

Alderson Broaddus is filled with many programs of studies. The university offers many major and pre-professional programs, such as Pre- Dental, Pre- Pharmacy, Accounting and, Biology. Alderson Broaddus requires a GPA from 2.3-2.5, with a SAT score of 820-850 and the lowest ACT score they will accept is a 1700. The tuition fee, whether you are instate or outstate is the same price, which is $31,746. Next year the price will rise by 2% which will make the fee almost $32,500. With the prices being so high Alderson Broaddus offers institutional aid and financial aid. There are seven dorm buildings, each room contains one roommate or a four people share a suit style on campus. Two benefits of the application process is that you do not have to write a essay and you do not have to pay for the application.

Alderson Broaddus is a very small school that helps you one on one in the classroom. The classrooms are not in a auditorium, they are in regular classrooms. The professor does not teach the class, the student aid teaches the class while the professor helps the students one on one. In order to get your four year degree you have to get 120 hours of credit. Gonzalez states, “94% of students find their career or go to grad school from Alderson Broaddus”. The university has a lot of programs that will help build a career to be successful. Paul Gonzalez closed the college meeting stating “The University was nominated the safest campus within the state”.