JV Field Hockey vs. Springbrook

Melat Samson, Staff Writer

On Thursday September 24th, the JV Field Hockey team played Springbrook High School at Paint Branch. The coach, Erica Handy worked hard to train the girls to defeat the rival school for this very intense Field Hockey game. The girls were nervous yet so pumped up and excited.

The JV Field hockey practices from Mondays through Saturdays to get ready for their games. Coach Handy says “they practice their stick skills and they do a lot of fitness like run around the track.”  The girls used teamwork and dedication to try to defeat Springbrook. When they work as a team, they overcome obstacles during the intense heat of the game when the forward player almost made a goal. On the sidelines, players are cheering for each other. As Coach Handy put players in and out of the game, the girls tried their best to make a goal and keep the ball away from the players from Springbrook. The Paint Branch goalie blocked the ball from the opposing team while the defense players helped keep the ball away to keep Springbrook from scoring.

One of the girls said “that game was one of their best games.” The JV team progress shows how they much improved with blocking the balls and running up and down the field with determination. The girls did a wonderful job with passing the balls through their opponent sticks making Springbrook girls try harder to get the ball.

Coach Handy says “during the game, the girls did great. They had strong defense and they tried their best.” Unfortunately, Springbrook scored the winning goal. The score was 0-1 at the end. The JV Field Hockey team lost but the amount of effort they had was enough. The JV team felt proud of themselves that evening.