Clowns Make Me Wonder if the Prank is Worth the Consequence

Amelia Torres, Staff Writer

Clowns. Please tell me why I am now terrified of clowns.

Oh, wait, I know why. It has been ever since the trend across social media gave people the idea to dress up in clown suits and scare people. In early October, schools, homes, and pedestrians witnessed pranksters use scary clown suits as a way to disguise themselves and chase people or, in a few cases, even hurt them. The thing I wonder is:  How can anyone find this funny?

The entire world has experienced some trend that has taken off  and become very popular in a matter of minutes or days because of its influential qualities. This popularity and spread can be credited to  youth and young adults and their access  to social media. Trends like Pokemon Go, the ALS Ice Bucket challenge, and photos or videos attached with hashtags commemorating a special day, are  trends that are for the good of everyone, something positive everyone can chime into, and that raise awareness and connect people to one another through the Internet.

Posting fun memories or positive messages should always be an option, as people should be allowed to share their joy and positive messages, but should this be allowed when the content of a photo or video is not positive or even harmful? Should a bystander recording a fight in the cafeteria be allowed to post it online for all to see? Should the trend many teens have of “exposing” certain pictures to hurt another individual be fair game,  or should simply posting a picture that an over-dramatic and self-conscious friend doesn’t want her friends’ followers to see be something that goes viral?

Honestly, the answer is no. If the content of the post can make someone upset and regretful, guilty, or fatally sad, then these posts shouldn’t  happen. . Marking a specific reference to what shouldn’t be on the Internet to inform and educate is the only reason any offensive material should be available to view.

The power of social media caused this clown phenomenon to drive an audience with silly and even murderous behavior to hurt people even on their own front porches. New York’s online news website, PIX 11 shared that, in Ohio, a woman,  at 4 a.m. who was having a morning smoke, was strangled (and released?), and then heard the words of a “clown” threatening the students at a school nearby. To imagine this woman’s fear and the lack of time to respond because she was approached from behind is terrifying.Her escape isn’t mentioned in news articles focusing on the sensational aspect of the story, but this is one of many attacks by people who are clutching on to this foolish and dangerous “clown” phenomenon – more like nightmare, really.

Of course, it gets more serious when you realize that  these clowns are targeting children. The worst part is that, while the sightings and attacks are scary enough, in Pennsylvania there was a teen stabbed to death by a clown. Is this just a “trend” gone wrong or a larger issue? A larger issue.

In my  hometown of Burtonsville, I’ve heard my friends say that there are clowns strolling around in grocery stores, and some walking down the street with normally dressed friends beside them. I’m honestly worried for the safety of my family, friends and anyone that we know even just seeing a clown. These clowns aren’t supposed to look friendly and with Halloween around the corner, it is definitely more likely for people to either get away with harassing people or even killing someone all in the name of a prank.

When looking into this topic I became really invested in researching and simply remembering times I witnessed deadly pranks and their results on the news. The other prank that I recognized as a truly cruel and even deadly prank is actually a “game” called “knockout.”  While the name may give it away – the premise of it is that young teen boys try to impress their friends. They locate a pedestrian on a non-crowded or even crowded area on the street, metro terminal, or in stores, and sneak behind or even brazenly right in front  of the person and punch them on the side of the head with the intention of knocking the person out with this one punch. Most of these attacks happened in New York City, but they are multiplying and happening in many states all because young teens think this is funny. According to The New York Daily News website, there have been two reported deaths associated with this “game.”  Hysterical, right?

So, how can we combat these types of pranks and games? The first step is creating boundaries for  what people post  on the internet. Yes, there are certain laws and rights that we must abide by, but  if we allow pranks, games, and even just shocking video to be broadcast for everyone to “enjoy,” then we are in danger. If we stop broadcasting this type of content,  these videos will diminish because they aren’t getting attention. Fines should be levied  when someone posts a video that promotes violence, discrimination, or has the intent to emotionally, physically or socially harm someone.  The liberty given when posting things has been taken advantage of and is out of control.  The only way these videos should be shared is when they are  done in an educational way that  promotes  the consequences of these kinds of posts.

Social media is a huge part of society and the world and without it many important moments would be  left unshared. Although this is true, if we get a good grip on the actual meaning behind some of the trends, like supporting a racial stereotype, or following a gang or mob kind of persona, many people would steer clear of trying to show everyone what they are involved in because it is negative attention and even criminal behavior.  

If the mainstream media stood up and covered these topics for the criminal behavior they are, perhaps change could take place. If foolish trends like  the cinnamon challenge, or a challenge that destroys and burns the skin, the ice and salt challenge, were stopped at the source, social media, and hospitals around the world would see fewer young teens threatening their lives, and we would become a smarter and healthier society.

We are the next millennium, unless we all kill each other before we get the chance to experience life to our full potential.