Burtonsville Day 2017: Bringing the Community Together

Cayla Reed, Center Editor

On a hot and sunny Saturday morning, September 16th, Burtonsville had its annual event that brings everyone together: Burtonsville Day.

Kicking off the event was the annual parade, which saw plenty of people come out to support everyone marching, including the dogs, the bands, the teams and clubs, and, of course, the political figures.  

The heat didn’t stop the fun for anyone at all during the parade. Later, when the day got warmer, activities set up by Paint Branch sports teams, including field hockey and lacrosse, were available for kids to join in and play together. Along with face painting, stands, and a variety of moon bounces for kids to choose from, there was food and games.

Tonia Dang, the wife of candidate Hoan Dang who is running for Montgomery County Council, enjoyed the event saying, “the parade was great and very beautiful, but only the beginning.”

Performances included an exciting routine by Paint Branch’s step team, the Eclectic Steppers. Lancie Kear, a sophomore at Paint Branch, who sang two songs solo in addition to performing with the Eclectic step team, said, the experience “was great, though there were some difficulties; it is very professional to keep going and it was very energetic and fun.”

Cultural music and dancing performed by ArtScan followed the step team’s performance. While the performances were happening, people watched and wandered the grounds taking in the festive activities and checking out all of the different vendors the festival had to offer. At various stands people promoted their businesses, such as karate, car insurance, religious practices, and beauty couture.

Observing old car models and voting for your favorite one was also an exciting part of the festival for kids, as well as elders who had a chance to reminisce about how they once had a car like the ones displayed.

Spinning the wheel games at stands was also available for people of all ages, as everyone walked around collecting candy and more treats. Burtonsville resident Nicole Reed enjoyed the day and noted that her favorite part was “when her daughter brought her a bracelet from a vendor’s stand.”