High School Was…

She Said

Back to Article
Back to Article

High School Was…

Justice Abbott, Staff Writer

High school was…

…unforgettable, to say the least. These four years have taught me so much about myself and about others. Looking back on my time in high school, I can honestly say there isn’t anything I would change. Even though I went through some of the worst times in my life, each moment taught me a lesson and helped me be who I am today.

Ninth grade was definitely the best year of high school for me. I was excited, young, and eager to be a high schooler. I met one of my best friends that year. It just worked out that we had more than half of our classes together, so she was instantly my bff. I also met a bunch of other people who helped me survive ninth grade. My favorite class freshman year had to be art because all of my friends were in the class and, at the time, I was going through an art phase. Freshman year was also the best because I kept good grades all four quarters while also having the best social life. I made the varsity cheer team and softball team, so it was just a great year all around.

Sophomore year comes in at a close second for best year of high school. That year was fun because I was still young, but with a year of high school under my belt, it was like I was a veteran to the whole thing. I met more people that year but my classes did start getting harder. I took my first AP class in 10th grade, which was really hard but, somehow, I got through it.

Then junior year started and struggles came along with it. That year was the hardest academically. I took AP Lang., which was absolutely the hardest class I have ever taken. Stress isn’t a strong enough word for that class, but I couldn’t be happier that I got through it. Besides the classes, junior year was fun because the school spirit was very high and I absolutely loved the seniors.

The summer before senior year, I think everything changed. I realized a lot about myself preparing for the year to come. I started getting more organized and developing my college essays. That summer was truly when I shifted from high school mode to college mode.

Then came this year, senior year. I feel old and seasoned. Senioritis hit early for me. My motivation for school was lost after February when I got my college acceptance letters. I was accepted into three out of the four schools I applied to and will be attending James Madison University in the fall. This year was really spent having fun more than anything else. The football games, the dances, and just the senior class made my year enjoyable. After spring break, senior year has just been a breeze. I really feel like there’s nothing to worry about and it’s just smooth sailing. Preparing for prom was extremely stressful and just overwhelming but as the day got closer, everything seemed to just naturally fall into place. I am more than ready to graduate but I also know I will be sad and will miss these days being a high schooler.

However, I do feel ready for the next chapter in my life and I thank high school for preparing me for it. High school was…unforgettable.