Rain on Your Parade

Pep Rally [Finally] Finds its Place in the Sun

On September 16th, 2013, history was made as the new Paint Branch stadium was used by the whole school for the first time. Swarms of students flocked into the stands eager to see the long-awaited pep rally that was cancelled the previous Thursday due to inclement weather.

The crowd, almost suffocating in its magnitude, brought the energy, a tangible thing, as the marching band’s music blasted across the field and into the stands as more students crowded onto the still-wet bleachers from rain that fell earlier that day.

The early pep rally was a reward from Principal Dr. Rogers for good behavior, and it provided an opportunity to intensify school spirit and bring energy for that evening’s football game against Blake.

Thrilled about performing at the pep rally, second year Pom Lalebela Moore commented, “I’m really excited about the new field and that we’re finally able to perform at home!”

Opening the pep rally, the marching band played a cover of “Locked Out of Heaven” by Bruno Mars, while the Poms team performed a routine.

The Poms finished and the band started a peppy beat to welcome the parade of this year’s fall sports teams, starting with Cross Country, which was followed by Girls’ Volleyball, JV Football, Golf, Girls’ Tennis, Girls’ Soccer, JV Cheerleading, and Varsity Boys’ Soccer. Last of all came the grand entrance of the Varsity Football team to a deafening chorus of screams and cheers.

Varsity football player Travis Armbruster, a sophomore outside linebacker, surprised by the energized welcome, said, “It was interesting seeing that many people in the stands. I was shocked to see so many people. I felt famous.”

Although there were technical difficulties, Head Varsity Football Coach Nesmith was able to encourage the crowd and get everyone hyped about the upcoming game.

Dr. Rogers took to the mic after a couple more active and lively performances by the cheerleaders. She sent a firm reminder to respect the guests to our school at the pre-game tailgate as well as Blake’s fans during the game later that evening. After a few more performances and cheers that pumped up the crowd, the pep rally came to a “somewhat abrupt and unorganized close,” commented senior Lois Mathew, as students filed out to buses.