New Year, New Clubs

Paint Branch Welcomes Several New Clubs to the PB Family

One of the projects for the Engineering Club was to build a new shed for the Environmental Club.

For students who are looking to experience God’s love, relax and reflect, engage in other cultures, help a pet in need, or create hands-on projects, they may want to look a little closer at several clubs new to Paint Branch this year.

In addition to the current Bible Studies that take place, there is a new after school campus fellowship is BCF (Bethel Campus Fellowship) Paint Branch. At BCF Paint Branch, students engage in a diverse assortment of activities such as games, demonstrations, movies, and singing. Through these activities, members have the chance to experience God’s love and grow as “reliable men and women of God.” The group had a shaky start in May of the last school year, but the two founders have hopes of the campus fellowship kicking off this school year.

As most people know, Ms. Norris is a ceramics teacher at PBHS. What people may not know is that she “used to teach yoga and meditation in the 1980s.” She is also the sponsor of the upcoming Meditation Club. According to Ms. Norris, for the first 20 minutes of lunch, anyone may come into room 3327 and sit quietly, focus on breathing, and just contemplate. This club is meant for those who would like to spend a segment of their LAP meditating, being quiet, and focusing on the “inner world versus [the] outer world.”

Paint Branch is a highly diverse school, so it seems natural that it has clubs to acknowledge and learn about the different cultures. It should come as no surprise that Josh Nzyoka and some friends set out to form the K-Pop Club. According to Josh, members do a variety of activities such as watching Korean dramas, watching K-Pop music videos, and learning how to do the dances from their culture. For more information on this club, contact Ms. Freeman.

Another new club is PAC- also known as Pet’s Advocate Club. According to the club sponsor Mrs. Adkins, the club’s members “are a pack.” This club began with Erin King, a senior, and Mrs. Adkins’ desire to help pets in shelter homes. This selfless goal will be reached by raising money, initiating pet supply/food drives, inviting organizations to come and speak on the matter, and allowing students to have some volunteer opportunities. Joining PAC will, in hindsight, better the conditions of pets living in shelter homes and hopefully increase their chances of moving to a “forever home.”

For those who have an eye for engineering, they now have a chance to show off those skills in competitions. The Engineering Club has been at Paint Branch for a few years now. Students have the freedom to suggest and build new projects in areas including robotics, programing, designing and actual hands-on construction.

Club sponsor Mr. Jenkins and some of the students decided to add an additional segment called the MESA, which allows the competition portion to be included in the club. The club allows students to do something they enjoy and actually rewarded then for it.

These five new clubs make up only a small portion of all of the clubs here at PBHS so if one of these does not float your boat, many other clubs may fit your interests.