Japanese Students Visit PB

On Monday, October 21, Paint Branch students and staff said, “Konichiwa,” as they welcomed 61 Japanese students and their teachers visiting from Tokyo, Japan.

As our Japanese guests arrived, they made their way to the auditorium where Dr. Rogers greeted them.  After a brief introduction, the 61 students partnered with 53 Paint Branch students. The Japanese students and their Panther guides then had the opportunity to eat lunch together and experience a Paint Branch student’s typical school day. “Although it was hard to communicate with each other, we became friends immediately,” said PB Sophomore Chi Nguyen.

Unlike most American public schools, Japanese schools typically require school uniforms. The Japanese students donned their uniforms as they visited Paint Branch; girls wore long, plaid skirts and blazers, and boys wore navy-blue suits.  As the day came to a close, everyone regathered in the auditorium for a closing show. Paint Branch students showed off their musical talents, and Japanese students showed their love for American pop culture as they did an exciting choreographed dance to Lady Gaga’s song “Born This Way.” The U.S. experience is not over yet for Japanese students, as another group of 30 students will be visiting Paint Branch on March 11, 2014. “My students are excited to have another opportunity to speak Japanese,” says Japanese teacher Ms. Yoko Zoll.

However, the Japanese students don’t get to have all the fun. In June, approximately 20 Paint Branch students, as well as 25 Montgomery Blair students, will have the opportunity to experience Japanese culture firsthand as they travel to Tokyo.