Fall Play Auditions Kick Off Fall Production

Jasmine Hayes, Staff Writer

Do you know what happens on November 14th?  Well, get excited because it is the fall play, The Miracle Worker. However, before that play can happen, the show needed to be cast.

On Tuesday, September 9th, eager students of all grade levels gathered after school in the back of the auditorium as they readied themselves to audition for the show.

While waiting for her turn to audition, junior Meghan Fickett provided some insight into the play. “The Miracle Worker is about Helen Keller and her teacher Ana, and their journey together to teach Helen how to communicate with others and understand the world.” explained Meghan

One look at the group ready to audition revealed a frantic, excited, loud, joyful, playful, and talkative crowd of teens, ready to learn. Everybody was doing something different such as filling out paperwork and using the Miracle Worker script to study lines and learn the play.

This preparatory work continued until the show’s stage manager, senior Laura VanDemark, came in and asked people to come up and get a paper for their audition.  The paper had a number on it that revealed each person’s acting group.

As everybody got in their acting groups, the teens began practicing, highlighting and yelling their lines. Then Ms. Perkins, the faculty director, and Ms. Ryan, the technical director, came in to explain they were looking for in performers.  They said they wanted to see and hear them and that they wanted body language, not stiff as a board actors.

When auditions began, all groups were eager and nervous. Everybody came in and performed their lines, and some even asked to try out for a different part.

Overall, the groups were amazing and clearly gave a one hundred percent effort.  After the auditions, Ms. Perkins told the students to make sure they had their pink slip –a parent permission slip to be part of the play –  and told them that if they did not get a callback, it’s not because they are not in the play, callbacks are just for big roles.

The next day was the day for callbacks, a time when everyone was clearly excited, nervous, and even a little shocked.  One young actress who earned a callback was freshman Karema Hammends, said, “I’m happy, nervous, and excited to be in the play with all the wonderful actors in the school.”

When Ms. Perkins came into the room, everyone became silent.  She announced that the group would be moving into the auditorium to continue the last round of auditions.  Ms. Perkins noted that, for these students, just being at this callback showed she and Ms. Ryan saw something in them yesterday.

Ms. Perkins began the first round of the audition and, one, by, one, each teen got up, received a script, and performed.  After each round, a few were told they could go.  After all the teens finish auditioning together, Ms. Perkins said the boys could go, and then she called the young ladies onto the stage.  This group began by showing off their ability to do A-Z sign language –an important skill for the roles of Ana, Kate and Helen.

When the ladies finished performing their roles, Ms. Perkins said the young ladies could go and that she and Ms. Ryan would make their decisions that night and put the cast list on display the next day.

To see just who got which part and what happens in this gripping play, come out to PB Perspectives’ opening night of The Miracle Worker on November 14th.