Class of 2015 Heads to Smokey Glen for Senior Unity Day

Seanne Coates, Features Editor

Senior Unity Day, the first day to celebrate the coming together of the senior class as the top of the food chain, took place this year on Tuesday, September 9th.

With Smokey Glen Park serving as the backdrop for a day full of fun activities, seniors gathered for the first of many exciting and unifying senior events. Of course, it also gave people a chance to hang out with all their friends in one place without being confined by the walls of school.

After second period ended, seniors met in the auditorium, received their senior T-shirts, and listened to a quick speech by Dr. Rogers; then it was off to the buses.

Once arriving at Smokey Glen, the senior class officers got the class of 2015 hyped up with PB chants and stories about future plans for the senior class this year. Seniors then took part in a scavenger hunt in hopes of winning a huge bag of assorted chocolates.

After the scavenger hunt, everyone went their separate ways and – as adolescents do – – joined their respective friend groups. Senior Afi Kole captured the essence of this idea when he said, “If we’re all cheering for the senior class we’re all united, but other than that we all have our little cliques.”

Kole’s comment rang true on this Senior Unity Day as, while the event brought the class of 2015 together in a physical sense, it also provided an opportunity- -on an emotional level – to bring friends together for some quality time. Friends who don’t normally get to see one another much in a regular school day enjoyed having the opportunity to spend time together and see much more of each other through the activities of Senior Unity Day.

In addition to the scavenger hunt and hanging with friends, the day brought other activities for those in attendance. These included soccer, mini golf, frisbee, softball, kickball, and music and dancing. Students enjoyed these activities – and worked up an appetite – -before they were called to eat a delicious lunch that consisted of burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, cole slaw, chips, brownies, and an assortment of sodas and water.

“I was at end ofthe line, so there were no more hamburgers, but it was all right because there were mounds and mounds of coleslaw left. And I love coleslaw” said Mark Holman

By the end of the day, most seemed tired and happy with how the day turned out. However, people always find room for improvement.

Senior Eyouel Mesfin wished that the three-and– half hours spent at Senior Unity Day could be longer, while fellow senior Cina Kuang said, “I wished there were more activities that could be done with small groups of friends as well as large groups.”

So while the day wasn’t perfect for everyone, it was an exciting and refreshing day for the seniors, who, for the first time, really felt they were the ruling class of Paint Branch. This was their day and their day only; their opportunity to get away from the underclassman, from school and classwork. It was their day to just sit back, relax, and enjoy their first event as seniors at Paint Branch High School.