The Student Organization for Animals’ Rights (SOAR)

Jasmine Hayes, Staff Writer

If you’ve ever felt sorry for an animal or seen a picture, video, or commercial about an abused animal, you know how emotional one can get from these moments. If you are a person who feels sympathy for these animals and wishes you could help them, there is a place for you – SOAR.

SOAR (Student Organization for Animals’ Rights) is group of animal-loving students that recognizes the arguments of animal rights and works to educate others on animal abuse and animal rights. The group meets every Wednesday in Mrs. Weiss’ room, 1128, at lunch.

There are many organizations that fight for animal rights in the U.S., including the Humane Society of the United States, a non-profit organization that is dedicated to helping all animals – from animals in labs to pets at home. . Another animal rights group is PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), a nonprofit organization that works to stop animal cruelty
Support for organizations such as these is a primary focus for SOAR members, who hope to inspire others closer to home.
Mrs. Weiss is the sponsor of SOAR, and it’s her first year at PBHS. She became a sponsor, because she thinks it’s an important issue, and hopes to spread the word about animal rights. In her room during meetings, the members make club posters, discuss topics of interest, and watch videos from groups such as PETA about stopping animal abuse and saving animals that are suffering..
Club President Nicole Gladas, a freshman, and Vice President Racheal Heely, a sophomore, both joined the club because they saw it on the announcements and knew it was the place for them. One thing they both hope to do this year is plan a field trip to see how other people who advocate for animal rights spread the word

Freshman Charlotte Diokhane thinks, “It’s great that there’s a group in PB that cares about animals rights,’ it shows what type of school we are, “and freshman Jasmin Rivas thinks, “It’s good, because animals shouldn’t be treated badly; they should be treated like something you hold dearly.”

If you want to help in supporting animals, join the SOAR club in every Wednesday Mrs. Weiss room 1128.