Medical Science Students View Open Heart Surgery

Dominique Culver, Staff Writer

On Friday, December 4, Ms. Taylor-Tolbert and her medical science students traveled to INOVA Heart and Vascular Institute to view an open heart surgery procedure, an event, according to Ms. Taylor-Tolbert, that reinforces the group’s study of the cardiovascular system.

Some students expected this open heart surgery to be bloody and frantic; however, Ms. Taylor-Tolbert stated that “some of the students were surprised by how well controlled the atmosphere was and the great amount of teamwork.” The typical assumptions associated with operating rooms – nervous doctors working while others rush around as anxious moments pass, and patients cling to life like in televised programs – were proven wrong in the calm and skillful operating room at INOVA.

Ms. Taylor- Tolbert provided this eye-opening experience to her students to show the wide array of opportunities within the medical profession. “The number of different health care professionals involved, with only one in the operating room being a medical doctor, amazed the students,” she said.

Ms. Taylor-Tolbert plans this informative field trip every year because she feels it is very supportive for those planning to pursue a career in the medical profession.