Students Should be Free to Express Themselves

Jasmine Hayes, Staff Writer

How would you feel if the schools said you could not express yourself through your clothing or by what’s on your body like tattoos and piercings? Tattoos and piercings should be allowed in schools unrestricted, and students shouldn’t be punished for being creative and showing self-expression.

Tattoos and piercings should be allowed because they are a form of our self-expression and creativity, and schools banning or not allowing them disturbs our civil rights. Tattoos and piercings show self-expression by exhibiting what the world to means to those who have them and also what represents them. Piercings show self-expression through what is worn on one’s face and body.

Tattoos represent what people are about, like having a heart for love or Jason to show to love for horror movies. Piercings can be wherever you want, like in your ears, nose, tongue, Banning or not allowing tattoos and piercings disturbs civil rights by telling people what they can and can’t wear. Jessica Samakow tells the story of a North Carolina teen who had to deal with her school not allowing her piercing. According to Samakow, “North Carolina’s Clayton High School claimed that Ariana’s tiny stud is a violation of the school’s dress code. The pierced freshman claims her nose stud is an expression of her religion, the Church of Body Modification, which is a federally-recognized organization.” Ariana requested to wear it, saying it was an actual religious belief, and school officials denied her request and deemed her piercing unnecessary, even after they researched her religion.

This school violated Ariana’s rights because they denied her and wouldn’t let her express herself through her religion, which is a big part of her.

People who disagree and think schools shouldn’t allow tattoos and piercings say that school is a place to learn and develop, and tattoos and piercings can distract students. School is also a place to find yourself, your interests, and who you want to become in the world. It also lets teens express themselves, whether it be in an artistic, athletic, or academic way.

Teens shouldn’t have to give up themselves or their rights when they go to school, which is a place for learning and also a place to discover who they are and what they mean to this world. Tattoos and piercings should be allowed because they show self-expression and creativity, and schools banning or not allowing them disturbs teens’ civil rights.