Mainstream Media: App Discovery

Olivia Gezahegn, Staff Writer

There are over one million apps available to users in the App Store, but how many of them do you actually know about and use? If you are like me, the answer is not many. However, I’ve decided to take a closer look at what is available and I am here to show you some seriously useful, fun, and free apps that you may want to look into.

Are you disorganized? Are you always late to school? Well, if you answered “yes” to either of these, then these next couple of apps will help you stay on track with your school and social life. First is Evernote. This app is like having your whole agenda book on your phone. You can type in your to-do list, record notes and even set reminders for when assignments are due. The good news is this is available for iOS and Android. This app is especially helpful because it shows up on your phone notifications where you will definitely see it.

Next is the Walk Me Up app. This alarm app will keep on ringing until you start walking. This is great for people who keep on pressing snooze in the morning and eventually end up being late to school. Once again, this is available for iOS and Android.

Summer is getting closer and closer, and everyone is trying to get their “beach body” ready. Well, here are some apps that can help with that. Moves is a great app that can replace expensive gadgets such as a FitBit or a Nike FuelBand. This app will keep track of your running, walking, or cycling distances and help you stay on track with your fitness goals. Unfortunately, only iOS has the market on this app.
If you feel like you need to start eating healthier, then Fooducate is the app for you. This app makes it easier for you to know what you are putting into your body. Simply scan the barcode of an item, and it will tell you the total calories, fat, sugar, and other key nutrition information. It will even give it a rating on how healthy the food actually is. This app is available for both Android and iOS.

On the education front, the SATs are a very important test that all students have to take some time in their high school career. SAT Up is an app that will make it easier and more convenient to study and make sure you get a good score on the test. It has three sections with 25 questions each and a feature that will show you how to achieve the correct answer. This is a great alternative to help you prepare for the SAT and a great alternative or supplement to those expensive SAT books.

Hopefully, these apps will help you with some important parts of your life. Now, excuse me while I check my Moves app to see just how many calories I’ve burned today.