Sour Grapes

Drew Jacobs, Staff Writer

A new rule at Paint Branch this year allows juniors to leave campus for lunch. This rule irritates me and my fellow senior classmates (yes all of us).

With a new principal comes new rules. As seniors, we believe that we lost out on open lunch last year after we attempted to get let out, and we are still somewhat bitter about that. Last year, as well as the classes of 2013, 2012, 2011, etc., we were forced to see firsthand that open lunch is a senior-only privilege and should not be experienced by juniors. The juniors this year are not being forced to understand the seniority of this Paint Branch tradition.

I would have loved to have been allowed out for lunch as a junior last year, and yes, I supported it last year, so I realize my hypocrisy. I don’t really care because, as a senior now, I hate the fact that juniors can leave campus, simply because I could not do it last year.

We missed out on Chipotle, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Chik-Fil-A, and all the other gourmet meals out in Burtonsville and the surrounding area. The pain one feels from seeing his or her older friends eat better food than him or she is unbearable. Freshmen and sophomores don’t have to worry about this pain because they don’t fully appreciate the idea, the privilege of leaving campus at such an early time.

The juniors this year do not have to suffer the unbearable pain that we did. Instead, the new pain is that of this year’s seniors who are left to lament the “not-so-senior” privilege of going out to lunch.