New Year’s Resolutions Not Quite so Resolute

Resolutions – No Matter How Hard You Try – Just Can’t be Met

Every year, you hear people say the same thing on New Year’s Day: “It’s a new year and a new me!” “This year, I’m going to get my priorities straight!” “Nothing will stop me this year!”

Many times have people said this; however, rarely do they meet these resolutions.

Maybe for a few days, the “new me’s” will start brand-new, only to revert to their original habits two-to-three days later. High school students are no different. Some high school students have made resolutions to complete their homework the night before it’s due, not the period before it’s due; some have made resolutions to join a sports team; and some students have even made resolutions to learn how to drive.

There is no problem with resolutions, but a problem lies within students (and people in general) of not fulfilling the resolutions they set out to make. Three main points about New Year’s Resolutions that people continuously fail to remember are “faith, consistency & hard work.” If these three values are put into resolutions, these resolutions will be resolved in a quicker period of time than resolutions that one forces.

For example, one student may have a resolution not to argue with people over irrelevant matters in life, such as missed appointments, crazy boyfriends/girlfriends, and unreliable school systems. The first step in achieving this is faith; to have faith in yourself that you can ignore what others say to you no matter how loud or how frequently someone may yell out about something. If the topic doesn’t apply to you, why should you care?

The second step is consistency; being consistent in your faith to stay away from matters that do not apply to you. However, if the faith portion does not work for you, you can still be consistent by limiting how much you argue with someone.

The third step is hard work. This may be the hardest point of New Year’s resolutions. However, if you can keep faith and consistency in check, then hard work can quickly become slight work. Work hard at your goal of not arguing with someone by resisting the urge to return an ignorant comment. You will find that it is actually quite easy to ignore how much someone may yell at you with an ignorant comment or, if all else fails, just walk away altogether.