Love Is All Around

Love and Then Heartbreak

Seanne Coates, Opinions Editor

Have you ever cared about someone so much that you thought it was love? Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t. No matter whether it was or wasn’t, almost all relationships in high school will come to a screeching halt at some point.
In high school, couples seem to break up in fewer than two months. Teenagers are so fickle when it comes to love. One day, you and your significant other are walking hand-in-hand, enjoying each other’s company, and the next thing you know, one of you is wondering why you’re even in this relationship. Then, suddenly, it all shatters, the happy times, the smiles, the laughter, the friendship; it’s all lost in a matter of minutes.
What is it that draws teenagers into this high-speed cycle of heartbreak? Why do we yearn for someone one day, then want something different the next?
We all subconsciously yearn for someone in our lives, for another person to love us, no matter who they are. When we find that person, our lives brighten up a little more. As teenagers, we are young, our hormones are raging, and we’re changing as people. We’re changing on the outside and the inside. This is why we think we want something one day but want something else the next. We are changing and so are our expectations when it comes to relationships.
Keep this in mind when seeking out a significant other. Don’t be naïve. While you have a chance of being part of that small percentage of students whose relationships last a long time, it is unlikely, so prepare yourself for the fact that it will ultimately end.
Maybe the ultimate solution is for teenagers to stay out of relationships entirely. This is one solution; however, I don’t believe in it.
Teenagers as well as people of all ages learn from their past experiences, and this pertains to relationships as well. In order to grow, teenagers must go through heartbreak; maybe they should put more thought into who they want to spend time with, in order to prolong the relationship.
Nonetheless, it is inevitable that at some point they will break up, and hopefully they’ll leave their relationships fulfilled because they learned something from them, and they weren’t just meaningless relationships.