The Senior Application Process

It’s Time for Change

Ana Sono, Staff Writer

Choose a school, fill out the application, write essays, answer questions, submit, and repeat. This is the life of a senior who is looking to go to college.

These days, the process begins even earlier, as early-action and early-decision applications come due before all of the leaves have even fallen. Following these early deadlines are the January and December regular-application deadlines, which brings more stress and more pressure.

As these deadlines approach, students find the hours of the day flying past them far too quickly. With homework, extracurricular activities and, perhaps, even a job standing between students and these precious applications, they have limited time for much – including sleep.

So, you ask – how can these poor, struggling students be helped? Well, the answer is actually quite simple. Montgomery County should mandate a series of five days for seniors when teachers are not allowed to assign homework. This simple directive would give these students more time to assemble their applications.

This policy should go into effect for five consecutive school days in September – this year, the five days would have run from September 20th through the 24th. This week – call it “Senior Apps Week” – would be considered a week in which seniors are expected to prepare their applications, fill out scholarship forms, write essays, and compile recommendations without the interruption or stress of homework.

Though teachers might find the idea to be disruptive to their lessons and the homework break could possibly cause students in non-senior-only classes to fall slightly behind in the class, none of this is enough to trump the benefit of having this time to focus on such an important task. Teachers are always trying to teach their students material that will serve them in the future when they are on their own, and giving them dedicated time to plan out their futures themselves and take the first step on this path is a perfect way to do so.